Saturday, July 26, 2008

I got my fancy boot!

Ok, so it took until Thursday to get my boot. I finally had to go to an orthopedist in town--and I had to beg them to squeeze me in so I could finally get around without hopping on one foot, or using the miserable crutches. The doctor saw me and the first thing he said when he looked at my x-rays in a very matter-of-fact way he said, "this is a Jones fracture, we do surgery on those." So I have a follow-up scheduled for August 19th. I'm under the impression that if I opt not to have surgery, it is very likely that this will be a recurring problem that will get worse and worse. Apparently with each stress fracture part of the bone dies surrounding the fracture, and it heals so slowly that it is never really strong enough to avoid future fractures.

So I'll keep everyone posted on that, hopefully it won't be something I'll have to do in the very near future, but it is something that is a very real possibility. The surgery will be to put a screw through the bone from end to end preventing it from fracturing in the future--so the long term benefits are good.

Thanks for all of the calls and well wishes and help. We've really appreciated the help from our friends here in Hermiston who have brought meals, taken the kids for a couple of hours, helped get things going for us in the morning, and just generally been there for any little thing we need.

No comments: