Thursday, October 8, 2009

What can you make with 100lbs of apples?

I got a phone call from someone in our ward that they were getting apples. Every year they get apples from a grower in Walla Walla who sells to one of our neighbors and her daughter who lives in Pendleton. I was told they were usually 20-25 lbs boxes and they had lots of varieties. I asked for a box of Fuji and a box of Gala. The next day I got my apples and found out that they were bushel boxes (48-50 lbs)! They were beautiful apples, and I was planning to make some applesauce/baby food and can a little for deserts or just for eating out of the jar.

If you've ever wondered how much that many apples can make, here's a picture of almost all of the finished product. My friend Charie (thank you, thank you, thank you for coming over and helping me with this, with a baby on my hip I couldn't do what I needed to get this done!) did most of the hard work (chopping, running the peeler, corer, slicer, etc). I mostly cranked the sauce maker, did some stirring, and kept the processer/water baths going. I ended up with 8 quarts of chopped apples in syrup for my freezer, 14 pints of baby food, 12 quarts of applesauce, 8 quarts of pie filling, and 6 quarts of sliced apples in a light syrup! I can't imagine how long this will last us, but I think I'll order again next year and do some canning for Charie :)


No comments: