Thursday, May 13, 2010

More birding

Despite the FREEZING spring we've been having (we've had snow on and off through the month of MAY!!) I am still seeing more birds around the property. I saw hummingbirds 2 days in a row. The first day was a female calliope hummingbird (smallest hummingbird our here), and then the next day I saw this male calliope trapped in our enclosed porch. It was snowing outside, so I think he flew in when the sliding glass door opened and the warmth was irresitible. Taking a picture of the poor little guy was just as irresistible for me. So he was a little stress while I quickly took a couple of shots. You can see how tiny he is on this nail (try not to look at the cobwebs).

I've also seen another golden eagle flying outside, and I saw a great blue heron fly over the house. I also saw some sandhill cranes a couple of miles down the road. I also saw a Lewis' woodpecker for the first time. I've seen a Black-headed Grosbeak in the yard recently, too.

On another wildlife note, I've been seeing pronghorn antelope in some fields just off the freeway on the way to La Grande. Mama's and babies mostly.

I'm excited to see what truly warm weather will bring! And even more excited that we might get some warm weather at all.

No comments: