Friday, May 28, 2010

Silly Salamander

Continuing with our amphibian catch and release program, we had a new capture yesterday. When I went out to roll our garbage to the road, I found this western long-toed salamander under the garbage can. He was barely moving (it was only a couple degrees above freezing out there), and I'm surprised I even saw him. I haven't seen a wild salamander in years, and was not expecting to see this one.
So I picked him up, put him in a mason jar with a little room temperature water to warm him up, and the boys had a great time learning what a salamander is.

After Chris got home from work (so we could give him a full report) we took Mr. Salamander outside and released him near where I found him that morning. Maybe we'll be seeing more salamanders over the summer and be able to catch and release a few more new friends.

No comments: